2012 Season Summary, 18th November 2012
Port Genovés. The observant will have noticed that our dinghy is still on deck - thanks to Marcel on Dakini for taking this lovely photo!
Once again it's time for our annual recap so here, in no particular order, are some facts & figures for this year, plus (2011) (2010), covering the period 10th April to 21st October that some of our readers may find interesting and/or useful:
Distance travelled: 1778 NM. (1288) (967)
Hours logged: 366 hours. (265) (204)
Average speed: 4.85 Knots. (4.86) (4.73)
Highest speed: Not recorded. (Not recorded) (11.8 Knots)
Ratio of sailing : motor-sailing : motoring hours - 133 (127) (69) : 54 (43) (51) : 179 (95) (84) (36% (48%) (34%) : 15% (16%) (25%) : 49% (36%) (41%))
Volvo MD 2030 Engine hours: 277.9 hours. (161.1) (143.7)
Diesel burnt: 492.0 litres. (260.0) (237.1)
Average diesel consumption: 1.77 litres/hour. (1.61) (1.65)
Engine oil consumption: 0 ml (0 ml) (800 ml, i.e. 0.37% of diesel burnt, well within tolerance (< 0.75%)).
Average berthing cost: €25.75 per night. (€22.00) (€23.30)
Number of nights at anchor / free buoys: 78. (62) (7)
Cost per night (accounting for anchoring): €15.45. (€14.91) (€22.10)
The figures above disguise the fact that in the Balearics we were in marinas only one or two nights a week as they were so expensive, but the annual average is only slightly more than last year.
Favourite passages - difficult to pick them, but perhaps these:
- 3rd place - Idyllic short sail across the Mar Menor
- 2nd place - Denia to Ibiza (11 hours of almost perfect sailing conditions)
- 1st place - Ibiza to Mallorca (10 hours of perfect sailing conditions)
Favourite places - even harder, with so many beautiful places to choose from, but maybe these:
- 3rd place - Cala Blanco, Ibiza (a small, deserted cala with crystal clear water & no swell during our visit!)
- 2nd place - Alcaidesa (La Linea) Marina & Gibraltar (so much more to The Rock than we previously knew about)
- 1st place - Addaya, Menorca (natural beauty, peaceful and quietly upmarket atmosphere)
- 3rd place - El Rompido Marina (clean, excellent pressure and adjustable temperature with plenty of heat)
- 2nd place - Alcaidesa (La Linea) Marina (new, very large, piped music & a view of The Rock!)
- 1st place - Denia Marina (not just a shower but individual bathroom suites, worthy of many a hotel!)
Typical shower cost: €0. (€0) (€2)
Typical laundry costs: washing machine €4 (€3) (€6), dryer €4 (€2) (€2), the latter not needed much again this year.
Typical gas cost: €16 (€14) (€23) for Camping Gaz, readily available nearly everywhere we've been so far. This lasts us about 3-4 weeks. Price record €31 in Licata!
Average food/drink/domestic costs: difficult to be precise, as the concept of weekly shopping doesn't really exist when living aboard, but about €120 a week covers the cost of most things (including comparatively expensive incidentals like bin liners, cleaning products, toiletries etc), and we do eat and drink very well. We still eat out regularly; Italy is slightly more expensive than Spain & Portugal but still cheaper than France.
Website design by Ionian Webworks